Sunday, March 1, 2015

CBS radio broadcast clip from Super Bowl 1

Here is a portion of the CBS radio broadcast of Super Bowl 1 between the Packers and Chiefs, courtesy of RadioTapes.com. The clip of about 17 minutes was recorded by WCCO-AM in Minneapolis. It mostly covers the pregame, but also contains a few plays of game action along with a postgame recap.

The announcers are Jack Drees and Tom Hedrick. During the clip, Hedrick refers to the game as the "Super Bowl", mentions the pointspread, and tries to rationalize the fact that there were numerous empty seats in the Los Angeles Coliseum that day.


3 comments:

  1. That must be a new addition to the site - I've bookmarked that for a long time, especially for its JFK and RFK assassination coverage but also to relive the tornadoes of my past. (I know that sounds strange, but you have to be a native Minnesotan to really get it.) Great find, very interesting to listen to.

    Do you think football works on radio anymore? I remember listening to Buck and Stram on Monday nights, as well as other games through the years, but it seems as if, between the hometown screamers and the way they appear to have diminished the crowd noise in order to let the announcer's voice come through, it doesn't really capture the drama of the game in the way it once did. That's just me, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't listened to much football on the radio in recent years, but Kevin Harlan is excellent at the national level. I'm not impressed with many of the modern local radio highlight clips I hear and detest the "hometown screamers" as you call them. I liked Buck/Stram and also thought Criqui/Trumpy did a decent job when they were the prime national NFL radio voices for a few years in the mid-1980s. On the local level, I remember listening to the great Marty Glickman on Giants/Jets radio in the 1970s.

      Delete
  2. I have a reel to reel of the entire first super bowl would it be worth anything to anyone. I know there are no video recordings of the game

    ReplyDelete